Intermediate Football Championship 14 August 2017

Carryduff – v – Tullylish (at Clonduff)

in a dour game Carryduff got off to a commanding start registering three points from play and holding Tullylish scoreless for the opening seventeen minutes.

A promising opening attack saw Tullylish’s defence deflect the ball over the end-line; Ronan Lawlor’s 45m free drifted wide but james guiness’s third minute point settled carryduff into the game. Both defences stood stout as the play ebbed and flowed and both attacking units seemed apprehensive of losing possession, repeatedly returning the ball outfield when pressed by the respective defences. Joe McFlynn managed to draw Tullylish defenders before placing Sean McGonigle through for a fine point from play nine minutes in. Donal McKeever added a third point from play(11th) to give Carryduff a clear advantage.

Both teams found the underfoot conditions challenging after the heavy rain showers earlier in the day.

The Carryduff defence had managed to keep tullylish at bay and Tullylish had failed to convert free kicks in the 8th and 15th minutes. Stephen O’Hare rectified that in the 17th minute taking Tullylish’s first score and Gareth Johnston (19th) reduced arrears to the minimum, converting a free kick.

Carryduff had a number of chances but Joe McFlynn (16th), Owen McCabe (18th) and Sean McGonigle (20th) shot wide of the posts. Gareth Johnston (22nd) converted a further free to level affairs. Both teams had further opportunities but Neill McGowan (24th) and Sean McGonigle (26th) kicked further wides for Carryduff as conor Magee (28th) was wide of the mark for Tullylish.

After that dour first half the teams were level on a scoreline of 0-03 apiece.

In the opening minutes of the second half james Guinees (31st) shot wide for carryduff before John McAreavey (32nd) converted a free kick to give Tullylish the lead for the first time in the game. However, James Guinness’s 34th minute point levelled the game.

Sean McGonigle (37th) and Owen McCabe (40th) both kicked wide for Carryduff as Gareth Johnston edged Tullylish in front with a point in the 39th minute. Daniel Guinness (41st) picked up the game’s first yellow card as the tempo increased. James guinness’s 41st minute point levelled the match again. A moment later there was some farce as neither umpire made a call on Guinness’s shot and eventually refree Gavin Finnegan had to consult iwth both umpires and make the call himself indicating a wide ball. Guinness kicked wide again (46th) before Owen McCabe pointed Carryduff in front (49th minute).

The defining moment of the game came when Tullylish centre-back Joe McDermott took off on an unchallenged run and his effort dropped in over the head of the Carryduff keeper to the back of the net (52nd). The consistent johnston converted a further free (55th) to give Tullylish a three point advantage.

Tullylish defended in numbers for the last five minutes of the game and into what time was added on. James Guinness’s final effort drifted wide (55th) before keeper Darren Ross converted a final free (56th) for Carryduff.

Tullylish defended their two point lead until the final whistle and progress from a scorleine of Tullylish 1-06 Carryduff 0-07. Carryduff meet Attical in Newcastle on Friday night in the losers group.

The Carryduff team was;- Darren Ross, Paddy McConnell, Seamus McCann, Neill McGowan, Conor McCullough, Conor Cassidy, Donal McKeever, Jonny Henry, Aidan Keenan, Ronan Lawlor, Joe McFlynn, Michael McGrath, James Guinness, Sean McGonigle, Owen McCabe.

Substitutes;- Josh Connery (for A Keenan, 30), Daniel Guinness (for M McGrath,30).

The Tullylish Team was;- Arron O’Hagan, Aidan McKiernan, Christopher Magee, Charlie Monaghan, Matthew Arlow, Joe McDermott, Sean McDermott, John McKivergan, Sean McAnerney, Justin McCartan, John McAreavey, Stephen O’Hare, Shannon Drainey, Gareth Johnston, Kevin McKivergan   Substitutes;- Frank McCartan, Mick Breen, Paddy McKivergan, Emmett Scullion, Simon Byrne.


Referee;- Gavin Finnegan