The Ulster council in association with the PSNI and local Fire brigade Road safety awareness evening .
Left to right ,Jonny Hamill (NIFRS) , Siobhan Hyland, Maura McMenimin(Ulster Council),Davy Thompson(NIFRS) , Philip Loughran.
Our minors from all codes (Male Football , Female & Hurling ) were all invited to what turned out to be a very entertaining and informative evening at the HUB , we had emergency services there represented by the Fire brigade & PSNI for which we are very grateful , to demonstrate safety awareness when being both in a car as a passenger but more so as the driver with all the responsibilities that it entails .
The Minors were separated into two groups of which one group went upstairs and were given a talk both by the PSNI and the fire brigade on the dangers of being behind the wheel of a car , this was enhanced by each participant wearing a headset and headphones which gave them a virtual reality version of an accident and the aftermath as can be seen in the photos below :
- PSNI safety talk
2. Virtual Reality head sets .
3. Parents had a go too.
The second group were shown an actual accident in a more realistic environment in a car specially developed to give the full experience from impact to the emergency services arriving and the aftermath of what the services have to deal with .
4. PSNI demonstrate there virtual car .
5. Minor participants have a go inside the virtual car .
6. It was a fully functioning car adapted with hydraulic suspension and smoke to give that actual life like situation .
7. Siobhan Hyland our Ladies secretary watches on .
The groups were also given a tour of other emergency response vehicles that may attend an accident as seen below
8.Local Fire services attended .
9. Michael gets a demonstration of breathing equipment by David .
10. Eoin getting a demonstration of emergency equipment.
11. Adam learning about the PSNI emergency response vehicle .
12. PSNI demonstrate the hydraulics on the Honda .
13. PSNI taking questions from or young drivers.
14. Demonstration taking place.