Carryduff claim County Under-21 Championship

December 14th, 2017 | Club notes, Senior

Carryduff – v – Bryansford

Thomas Russell Park, Downpatrick

Sunday 3rd December 2017

Sunday 3rd December 2017 will remain forever etched into the history of Carryduff GAC as the date the club claimed its first ever Under-21 Football Championship Title. Played in very fair conditions for the beginning of December, the early December sunshine and the contest drew heavy support from both Carryduff and Bryansford to Thomas Russell Park, Downpatrick.

Buoyed by their exploits in the campaign thus far, a resolute Carryduff set their stall out from the throw in and within the first two minutes of the game had points from James Guinness (converted free, 1st) and Josh Connery (2nd).

Seán Óg Kelly claimed Bryansford’s first score, converting a free in the third minute of play.

The sides then traded missed opportunities as James Guinness (5th) kicked wide from a free kick before Bryansford goalkeeper Marc Reid kicked wide the first 45metre free of the game (6th).

Ronan Beatty’s point (8th) steadied Carryduff who defended stoutly, holding Bryansford scoreless until the 19th minute. However, Carryduff also found it difficult to manufacture scores during this period and, as the tempo of the game increased so too did the robustness of some of the tackles. Carryduff’s Josh Connery (11th) was the first to see a flash of yellow from Referee Con Reynolds and Bryansford’s Peter Brannigan also made his way into the referee’s notebook in the fifteenth minute.

Carryduff’s James Guinness (12th) and Michael Lawson (16th) had both kicked wide as the pressure on the ball intensified and Carryduff’s Darragh Connolly also picked up a card in the seventeenth minute.

Daniel McKibbin pointed for Bryansford in the 19th minute but that scored was negated almost immediately as James Guinness (20th) converted a Carryduff free to reassert their two point advantage.

Bryansford were industrious for the last ten minutes of the first half. A converted free (22nd) from Daniel McKibbin brought the margin to the minimum but Ronan Beatty’s goal (23rd) gave Carryduff a good cushion as the half time whistle neared.

Carryduff failed to convert a free in the 26th minute and Bryansford capitalised on their opportunities as Seán Óg Kelly converted frees in the 26th and 28th minutes. Carryduff had further chances but Darragh Connolly’s effort (29th) went wide and Ronan Beatty’s effort (30th) didn’t make the target.

Carryduff enjoyed a 1-04 to 0-05 advantage as they greeted the break but the whole of Thomas Russell Park knew that the second half of this game was going to be just as feisty as the first half.

The second half opened with at a frenetic pace. Owen McCabe’s first minute effort went wide and Bryansford’s full-forward Callum McDonald picked up a yellow card in the second minute of the half.

Daniel McKibbin poonted in the 35th minute and with only a point between the sides again the decibels began to rise around the sidelines. James Guinness (37th) re-established Carryduff’s two point lead only to see it reduced again as McKibbin pointed for Bryansford two minutes later.

A tremendous run and thumping point from Carryduff’s Daniel Guinness (40th) had a significant impact on the game as from this point on Carryduff enjoyed a ‘purple patch’ holding Bryansford scoreless for the next sixteen minute as Carryduff worked steadfastly for each other, support coming from all across the pitch to gain and retain possession and pressure Bryansford at every opportunity.

James Guinness picked up a yellow card (41st) and Ronan Beatty added a further Carryduff point in the 43rd minute. At this stage of the game Carryduff were laying siege to the Bryansford goal and had chances to close the game out but James Guinness’s rasping shot rebounded off the woodwork and Darragh Connolly’s follow up produced an excellent save from Bryansford keeper Marc Reid to deflect the ball over the crossbar.

Owen McCabe added a further Carryduff point in the 46th minute. Bryansfrod’s corey Laverty picked up a booking and relentless Carryduff pressure forced Seán Óg Kelly’s shot wide a moment later. Ronan Beatty pointed from play (51st) for Carryduff. Daniel Guinness was included into the referee’s notebook as Carryduff challenged for possession of every single ball.

Substitute CC (52nd) added a further point from play for Carryduff. A number of yellow cards were issued as a consequence of a protracted goal-mouth jostling session before Bryansford substitute Ryan O Higgins kicked what was to Bryansfrod’s last score of the game in the 56th minute.

Carryduff’s Ronan Beatty found the Bryansford net for the second occasion with the last score of the game to give Carryduff a convincing 2-11 to 0-09 victory.

The Carryduff Team was;- Mark Hynds, John McGeough, Patrick McConnell, Gareth Henderson, Shea reilly, Pierce Laverty, Donal Rooney, James Guinness ©, Josh connery ©, Owen McCabe, Daniel Guinness, Conor Rooney, Ronan Beatty, Darragh Connolly, Michael Lawson. SubstitutesOísín Convoy (for M Lawson, 30), Caolan Cunningham (for S Reilly, 38), Daniel McCartan (for O McCabe, 52), Darren Ross, Rory Reilly, Eóin Maguire, Andrew McCartan, Ronan Lavery, Daniel McGrath, Tommy Connery, Ruairí Boyle, Daniel Coogan.

Management; Paddy Doherty, Ronan Lawlor, Danny McConnell, DJ Morgan, Shane O’Neill.

The Bryansford team was;- Marc Reid, Caolan McGuinness, Niall Doran, Aaron Ward, Keelin O’Higgins, Richard McIlnearney, Corey Laverty, Thomas McKibben, John Yarr, Seán Óg Kelly, Peter Brannigan, Fintan Canavan, Daniel McKibbin, Callum McDonald, Aodhan Fegan, Cathal Burns, Paddy Sheridan, Ronan Quinn, Jonny Doyle, Scott Kinley, Jack Savage, Fintan

O’Hagan, Niall Wells, Lewis mason, Aaron Fitzpatrick, Ryan O’Higgins, Karl Brannigan, Locky